Room Where it Happens

 


The song from Hamilton inspired this week’s blog.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WySzEXKUSZw

Many of us are chomping at the bit to get back to the office.  This week I will examine why the room where it happens can disappoint.  We need to manage our expectations on how great the office was… This week I’ll examine the pros and cons of The Office and discuss some improvements post pandemic.  


Improv

The advisor’s spontaneity is very memorable and important.  The best training I’ve found is from the theater. The theater educates their audience and actors using improv. The most successful improv training can be adapted to wealth advisory.  My favorite approach is to watch my favorite actors and learn from the top theater company - Second City. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RFTpObS95U

https://www.secondcity.com/

The book Yes And helped me too.  https://medium.com/improv4/saying-yes-and-a-principle-for-improv-business-life-fd050bccf7e3




Face to Face

Zoom calls aren’t making the grade.  We require face to face communication to accurately reach our conclusions. The people in the room need our feedback. We might be surprised by the experienced people in the room. I know I was shocked when I was invited in the executive committee room. Getting there was more difficult than saying something new and smart. Second City training can help.  

   


Old School 

I’m shocked to hear the same old names on CNBC talking about market moves. When will their opinions run out of gas?  I continue to read the WSJ and Barron’s and I also listen to my car’s map directions. I hope we can improve our opinions and collaborate with our colleagues on a better decision. We need to formulate our own decisions using our ability to reach a unique decision that will benefit our clients and hopefully establish our unique brand identity. Maps and our brains will trump AI.  Old School has power. 


We need to create a smart room and listen to other opinions while looking our colleagues in their eyes. The more things change - the more they revert to the same. Join me in the room where it happens. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inorganic

Stop Judging

Career Hacks