No email


The more things change the more our old tools remain.  Unfortunately, we are hesitant to adopt new technology.  I remember when email and websites replaced hand written notes and paper brochures. I did not want to send emails and my bosses didn’t want to spend extra money to build a website. Both of us resisted change and paper brochures were cheap. Our clients also liked the status quo. Today the pandemic has forced us all to change and while some of our old bad habits still remain - visionary leaders need to lead us on a new and improved path. This week we will examine our old bad habits and look at our new road map.  



Keyboard Bravado

My kids breakup over text. Many of us say mean things online that we would never say in person. Keyboard Bravado is the term for this behavior. My generation was wimpy too, and sent messages to our potential girlfriend using paper footballs before there were cell phones.  The genius of Steve Jobs proved that we didn’t know what our legacy needs were until we all embraced the new iPhone.  We can be our own leader and embrace change.  Hopefully this blog will educate you on why our old techniques should be upgraded. 



Social Media Platforms 

My wife works with a toy company that has embraced new social media tools. They use TikTok and share the results on monitors in their showroom. It was very effective and I suggest independent advisors could benefit from using TikTok.  The easy response of “I don’t use TikTok” is a crutch.  I personally start every morning with 15 minutes on the platform.  The algorithm is amazing and good entrepreneurs will figure out how to use it to convey their message.


Technology 

The pandemic has created new technology solutions that we can research on free webcasts.  My two favorites are On24 and the VC Firm High Alpha Innovation .  The new solutions are benefiting from our free time and you will learn more from these webcasts than you learn from your Netflix binge.  Most of the free webcasts are created by firms I didn’t know before staying at home.  Warning,  after each free webcast you will receive numerous emails asking you to try their product.  I’m trying not to fall in the trap of saying I’m happy with my current tools.  


Many firms are getting sick of Zoom calls. I still use email and am happy my parents changed and gave me a second phone line because they were sick of me always being on the mainline. The second line allowed me to talk to my friends Peter and Jay every night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inorganic

Stop Judging

Career Hacks